Monday, March 17, 2008

Karl White asked some parents to write to the Public Education Appropriations Committee of the State Legislature. The following is my letter.

Dr. White is an incredibly accomplished person, especially in the field of early detection of hearing loss and education. This last fall he opened, with the help of some of the very best deaf educators in the country, a new school and training center for deaf educators in Logan. It is called Sound Beginnings. He wants to create a satellite school in Utah County. (I like to think that my not-so-subtle nudging has helped! Also Michelle A moved half of her family to Logan to participate in his program!) The Legislature approved the funding... stay tuned. I don't want to get down on USDB... but, how can we NOT get better facilities in Utah County? I'm curious to see what kind of snafoos or hang-ups, explanations they can come up with. These plus 25 year trailers have to go NOW.

Dear Legislator,

As a parent of 2 deaf children I’d like to add my voice to the chorus of parents and educators who support USU's request for an ongoing appropriation of $300,000 to support the expansion of superior early childhood deaf education throughout the state. I am especially concerned about the deaf children in Utah county, who attend school (USDB) in plus 20 year old trailers.

The current state of most deaf education in Utah, fractured and uninspired, is especially troubling because with modern technology these children can achieve so much more.

My son is 7 and is mainstreamed in a regular first grade class. This is the good news. The bad news is that the school’s speech therapist describes his speech problem as “severe.” The diagnostic evaluation at the University of Utah, where he is currently receiving speech therapy twice a week, marked his speech development at 4 years 9 months. His story is not unique. He could be completely at his age level if he had received the comprehensive aural rehabilitation and oral education that Sound Beginnings is now providing deaf children in Cache county.

I have traveled and seen other schools throughout the country, hoping to provide better services for my children . I have also met with the USDB administration and also the State of Utah’s DCFM in hopes of finding a solution in Utah County. I was overjoyed when I heard that Karl White was creating a program to teach the teachers of the deaf and also could take my then 3 year old daughter into that program. After trying every possible way to move our family of 7 to Logan, or have her stay with another mother during the school week I realized that we couldn’t take advantage of Sound Beginnings. The thought of her, and us, spending such a crucial time of her life so far away from her family broke my heart.

It is clear that Sound Beginnings is not only cutting edge deaf education but also motivated to help children with permanent hearing loss succeed as never before.

Please vote in favor of the funding request from Utah State University when it comes up before the legislature.

Thank you for listening.

Sincerely,

Hailey Meyer Liechty

No comments: